Monday, December 15, 2008

Out on my own...

Well, after practicing over three years with another attorney, I have opened up my very own law practice. I've chosen to continue only handling family law matters, so that I can concentrate on that law and be the best that I can in that area. This may not be the best choice as far as finding new clients, especially this time of year. Who wants to divorce during the holidays? I have a website. I have Google ads. I have referrals (and thank you so much to clients who choose to entrust their friends and family to my care!). But, it just isn't enough yet.

It is amazing how much it costs to run a law firm. It's terrible how much people have to pay for an attorney, but now that I'm on my own, I see why. The overhead is ridiculous. So, poor clients, poor attorneys... nobody really wins in this situation (except of course those lucky enough to be reasonable and have reasonable opposing parties, and can work it out without too much court action... but I'm still not sure that's a win - perhaps just a "non-loss").

Okay. I've rambled on enough... Have happy holidays and I hope your family relations are loving (or at the very least amicable) - even if that means I starve to death due to lack of work. :)